MCACN LLC MEMBER PROFILE : STEVE SHAUGER

 

MCACN LLC MEMBER PROFILE:

Steve Shauger



Behind the Scenes Interview:

Where do you live (City, State)
Baiting Hollow, NY
When and how did you become a Muscle Car enthusiast?
I was lucky enough to live in Newtown Sq., Pa which happened to be the location of the Penske race shop from around 1965 -1971. Also watched racing on TV, especially the trans am series. In the summer of 1969, I was on Bishop Hollow Rd in my hometown riding my bike when an orange 1969 Z28 power slid into the Sun Oil research facility. Years later I became friends with Bill Scott (a member of the Penske race team) and told him about my recollection of this orange Camaro. He stated “that was most definitely Mark Donohue driving his personal car to see me and likely pick up some parts”. Bill ( known as Scotty) worked at Sun Oils R&D facility as a designer/machinist, but was on loan to the Penske race team. In fact Scotty was Penske’s chief mechanic on the Grand Sport Corvette and was a member of Penske race team until the early seventies. The Penske/Donohue race team dominated just about every form of racing from Lola, Formula One and Indy, but none more so than the 1968 & 1969 Trans Am racing series, driving the Chevrolet Camaro. OK now you know how I got hooked on these cars.
What is your first Muscle Car memory?
It started in the spring of 1967 while on my way to elementary school. There I would first hear this car tearing down the back roads of suburban Philadelphia. The tone of that exhaust, the lope and sound of the solid lifter camshaft left quite an impression. It was a white with black stripe 1967 Camaro. In following years it turned out to be a schoolmate’s brother’s 1967 Z28 Camaro, one of 602 built for the Trans Am racing series.
What is in your garage?
1967 Tahoe Turquois Camaro RS/SS L78- 19k mile survivor 1969 Orange Camaro RS/ Z28- My first Z28 1969 Black Camaro RS/Z28- Concours restored 1969 Silver Corvette L46 1970 Blue Camaro RS/Z28- 24k mile survivor
What is your current favorite in your garage?
Mark Donohue met his untimely death on August 13, 1975 as he prepared for the Austrian Grand Prix. Well the loss of Mark had an effect on me, and my goal was finding a car identical to the one Mark drove into the Sun Oil facility. After searching for 4 years I found such a car in Franklinville, NJ. Its my favorite and always will for two reasons; It's representing the 1969 Orange Z28 Mark Donohue was driving, and it was my first true Z28.
How has your own collection evolved over the years?
Yes, I have owned Plymouth AAR Cuda, 67,68,69 70 Chevelles L78 & LS5, 66,67,69 & 70 Corvettes, 69 Pontiac Firebird RAIV, 69 Ford Boss 302 Mustang, 69 RS COPO Camaro, 69 Yenko Camaro, and many other 1st and 2nd Camaros in over 45 years of collecting....
What is your “Bucket list” gotta-have-someday car?
My goal would be to find an unknown special high-perf survivor that is virtually untouched. As they say a needle in a haystack.
Do you, or have you raced?
Early on to some degree street racing locally and periodically to Front Street in Philadelphia. As my car collecting evolved, I found myself bringing cars back to how they left the factory.
What prompted you to be a part of the MCACN team?
I had been in the hobby for years and met like-minded enthusiast/friends. A close friend Charley Lillard asked me if I would be interested. Initially was skeptical but spoke with others who were also asked, and the rest is history.
Are there any MCACN milestones or accomplishments that you would still like to achieve?
It seems every year is a milestone. I wouldn't change a thing and expect the bar to be raised as all of our partners contribute and put forth ideas and innovative ways making our Muscle Car show like none other in the world.
Over the years you have met numerous automotive hobby “celebrities”. Who was the most memorable?
Well it's tough to define celebrity. I have met some incredible enthusiast whose knowledge is boundless and are unknown and private. The cars bring us together but the like-minded enthusiast I've met and built relationships are all celebrities.
What is a MCACN memory that stands out for you?
The first year of the show and just being in awe of how the convention hall changed from an empty building to a display of amazing cars and showcases year after year.
Any other information you would like to share?
Vintage Certification is a program I've been involved with since its inception in 1999 and head/coordinate, with a great team of judges. Initially program focused on provide Recognition, Status & Provenance to the unrestored Camaro. Since bringing Vintage Certification to MCACN, we have now embraced all brands and models. The team of judges who specialize on their make/model are, simply put, amazing in the depth and scope of their knowledge.

Comments