MCACN LLC MEMBER PROFILE: COLIN COMER

 MCACN LLC MEMBER PROFILE:

COLIN COMER


Behind The Scenes Interview


Where do you live (City, State)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
When and how did you become a Muscle Car enthusiast?
I've always liked cars, and growing up in the 1970s muscle cars were still the coolest thing out there. They weren't making anything new that was nearly as exciting so I devoured anything I could read or learn about muscle cars, hung out at the local garage that worked on them, and roamed neighborhoods trying to find where they all lived. Pre-GPS geocaching if you will.
What is your first Muscle Car memory?
My first really vivid memory of what a muscle car was came when I was in the 4th grade and hanging out at a (much) older friend's house after school. His dad worked for GM and he was one of three boys- they all had GM muscle. Suddenly we heard a car doing a wicked burnout on the street in front of their house, it was another local guy in a '69 Road Runner. My friend said something to the effect of "that SOB, ok, it's on!!" and we jumped in his '65 GTO, a post coupe Tri-Power 4 speed car, to go chase the Runner down and race him. I remember when my friend hit third gear and watching him nearly punch the dashboard during the shift and the wheelhop that shook the car so much the glovebox popped open. That was it, I was hooked!
What is in your garage?
I have a Paxton-supercharged '65 GT350, 289 and 427 Cobras, a 67 GT500 4-speed car, as well as vintage SUVs and some modern muscle like Fox Body Saleen Mustangs from the 80's, a 2006 Ford GT and modern GT350s and GT500s. Basically I collect cars that I can enjoy with my family and on 1,000 mile tours which we do a lot of. We, as a family, also race so I have a 1995 Roush Trans-Am Mustang that is my primary race car, my wife has an Austin-Healey Sprite race car, and our 7 year old son races karts so there is a pile of that stuff to trip over, too.
What is your current favorite in your garage?
Oh man. Can I say all of them? Yeah, let's go with that!
How has your own collection evolved over the years?
I love the big, bad street racing muscle cars and have had a ton of 440+6 A12 Mopars, Ram Air GTOs, Hemi cars and the like. But today I've really fine-tuned it to the cars of Shelby American which is, obviously, my passion and the cars I love to drive. I'm a driver, so, if I can't use it I don't collect it.
What is your “Bucket list” gotta-have-someday car?
You know I think I'm in the perfect place as a collector, kind of like the top of Mount Everest, because all of the cars that were on my "bucket list" I created as a kid I'm now fortunate enough to own. When you have a '65 GT350 with a blower and super loud side exhaust what else do you need?
Do you, or have you raced?
Yes I have raced since I was 16 years old. And that was a long, long time ago! I've raced Formula cars, Indy cars, Pre-War cars, ARCA and Stock Cars, historic TA and A/P and B/P cars (Camaros/ Corvettes/ GT350s), modern TA cars, basically anything I could grab seat time in. But my favorite cars to race are the modern tube-frame TA cars. There is nothing like 850 HP in a 2,800lb car with 14" wide slicks. Nothing.
What prompted you to be a part of the MCACN team?
Well, being a Chicago-area guy essentially, I always enjoyed Chevy-Vettefest. So when that was going away, and this group of us hatched the idea to start an all-makes, best muscle car show in the world thing at the same venue I was 100% in.
Are there any MCACN milestones or accomplishments that you would still like to achieve?
Well, obviously, we want to keep creating this great venue and show which has really become an annual meeting of all of our car friends. The cars are phenomenal and every year I'm blown away with the continued quality and rarity of what you all bring to the show but really it is just great to see so many friends and spend a weekend in this setting bench racing and telling tall tales. So, keeping that going is a big priority and also continuing to grow the show and get more people here to enjoy it. I'd also like to live-stream more of it for those who can't be here in person. I know I'm biased but every year all of us are creating history and it is great to share that.
Over the years you have met numerous automotive hobby “celebrities”. 

Who was the most memorable?
Well, obviously Carroll Shelby was one of a kind. Never a dull moment with him! But there are so many memorable people it's hard to narrow it down to one.
What is a MCACN memory that stands out for you?
The members and, clearly, the Ashton family all toiling away putting together that first show with absolutely no clue if it was going to work. And then opening the gates that first Saturday morning and seeing the crowd. All of the sudden it seemed like it might work! To this day seeing the crowd shuffle in to enjoy the show, and their reactions, is still my favorite part.



Comments