MCACN LLC Member Profile: Mike Guarise

 MCACN LLC MEMBER PROFILE:
Mike Guarise




Mike and Ivy Guarise with one of their Stage 1 Buicks 


MCACN 2023 BEHIND THE SCENES MEMBERS QUESTIONAIRE


Where do you live?

Scottsdale, AZ. & Park Ridge, IL.


 When and how did you become a Muscle Car enthusiast?

 Long before I could drive, but it depends on your opinion of

"muscle car". My dad always had hot cars. For many years they were

Dodges, and always the high performance hardtop or convertible, many

with the Red Ram dual quad engines. This would have been '56-'59. I

couldn't wait until I turned 16, but that's when he moved to more

sensible Pontiacs. He knew what was good for me.


 What is your first Muscle Car memory?

 My first personal driving memory was when my cousin threw me

the keys to his brand new '64 GTO. I had already had a few pretty quick

cars at that point, but that tri power, four speed just blew me away.

Exactly one year later I ordered my own '66 GTO. In fact two other

friends ordered them as well, and within the first year, two, including

mine, were stolen and stripped.


 What is in your garage?

Stage 1 Buicks and an '84 Trans Am convertible conversion.


What is your current favorite?

 My Fire Red, '70 Stage 1 GS convert, four speed with A/C.


How has your own collection evolved over the years?

Too many years to get into a lot of detail, but I've gone through

many phases. Early '60s big cars, 409 Chevies and 421 Pontiacs. Then

into famous driver drag cars; Arnie Beswick, Sox & Martin, Dick Landy,

and a few Pontiacs better known by the dealer names than the drivers.

Then on to dealer built supercars from Nickey, Bill Thomas, Baldwin-

Motion, Grand Spaulding and of course Yenkos. Now? Stage 1 GS cars.


What is your “Bucket list” gotta-have-someday car?

 A '65 Dual Quad Riviera GS.


Do you, or have you raced?

 I raced in the mid and late '60s at Union Grove, Oswego and Lake

Geneva.


 What prompted you to be a part of the MCACN team?

The demise of the Chevy Vettefest created the opportunity for a

few good friends to create the show we had been longing for, an all

makes muscle car show


Are there any MCACN milestones or accomplishments that you

would still like to achieve?

 That's easy. Although thousands of regulars travel from far and

wide at great expense to be at the show, we still haven't drawn as many

from the car crazy Chicago area. As we all know, once you attend you

will never miss the show again.


Over the years you have met numerous automotive hobby

“celebrities”. Who was the most memorable?

 That depends on your definition of celebrity. For me, there are

three that stand out as having accomplished much in their careers and

still remained humble, generous and all around great guys: Ronnie Sox,

Arnie Beswick and Ken Barnhart.


 What is a MCACN memory that stands out for you?

That's tough. For me, each year's "Red Carpet" showcase is a

unique memory. You continue to amaze everyone with the cars that you

put together for the premier display that welcomes our guests to, as

Muscle Car Review proclaimed, "The Pebble Beach of Muscle Cars".

Comments